Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Writing Wednesday #1 - Finding Inspiration

Now that this blog has established itself with a couple of introductory posts, I would like to present to you one of the recurring entries that you will be seeing here on Writers Taste Life Twice.

I call it WRITING WEDNESDAY and I think the title speaks for itself. Every Wednesday I will hope to make a post regarding some aspect of writing such as character creation, dialogue, inspiration, editing, and the like. Maybe a few helpful tips and tricks will be shared. I'll definitely learn something new every week, and that is what I aim to do. Hopefully the same will happen to all of you! If it does, I will feel very accomplished.

And with that, I give you...


Today, for my first entry of Writing Wednesday, I'm going to talk about finding inspiration. Every writer knows that inspiration is a very important part of writing. If there were no inspiration, there would be nothing to write about!

But finding inspiration is a tricky thing to do. There is no true science to it, and I'm not going to pretend I know some invaluable secret to finding inspiration. However, I will talk about some things that I've learned, things that may help you along the way.

When it comes to inspiration and developing a story, everyone has a different method. What works well for one person may not work for another. I'm sure J.K. Rowling has a different approach than Stephen King does, for example. Their approaches may be worlds apart from mine. In fact, I'm almost certain that they are. But it doesn't hurt to try new things, does it?

I like to retreat to a calm and relaxing place when I'm looking for inspiration. Like many people, I enjoy going outside and taking a little walk. I live in the country, where there is tons of space for me to roam around and let my mind wander. The easy silence in the air often gives my thoughts a chance to speak. Sometimes potential characters begin pushing their way to the front of my mind. Sometimes I'll be on a certain train of thought and my mind starts asking strange questions. This is what happens to many authors. They call this the idea spark, and it is the first step in your journey to writing a new novel.

If you're feeling stumped or have run out of ideas, take a break! Let your mind wander a bit. That always works for me. Maybe read a favorite book, listen to music, try to open your mind to new possibilities. Some idea sparks are small, but they can grow into incredible things with enough time and loving care. Don't throw anything out too soon! Let your thoughts tumble over it for a while. You may be surprised what you come up with.

One last tip when it comes to inspiration: ALWAYS WRITE IT DOWN!

You're sitting in class or doing the dishes when a sliver of an idea comes to you. That's pretty good, you think to yourself. I'll have to write that down sometime. Then you continue on your merry little way and by the time you've finished what you're doing, the idea is gone. Inspiration is a tricky thing to find, and an even trickier thing to hold on to. Keep a notebook on hand at all times. You have no idea how many times this has happened to me. It happens to everyone. SO WRITE IT DOWN!

Ideas are precious and you don't want to lose them.

- - -

Thank you for joining us during our first ever Writing Wednesday! What do you think? Is this something that should be continued?

Finally, are there any other tips YOU want to share concerning inspiration and ideas? Do you have a method that works for you? Please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment